Monday, May 3, 2010

Getting from Point A to B in an Airplane

Nothing terrified this seasoned traveler more than the phrase “air travel” when combined with Walter. Before Walter I would throw clothes and toiletries into my suitcase haphazardly the day of the flight and be off to a great destination. And I honestly thought my days of traveling were put on the highest childproofed shelf for a few years. Three successful flights and family visits later I am here to testify that it can be done. And you will be successful. Here are some tips that proved helpful

Packing

  1. Pack clothes for every eventuality, this means that traveling light is not an option, but try not to get attached to every cute outfit and think that you must bring it, two outfits per day is sufficient
  2. Pack favorite toys and books, figure out beforehand what kind of toys and equipment will be there, pack accordingly. Bringing favorite toys also helps the child feel more comfortable in a strange setting if there are familiar toys to play with.
  3. Try to arrange the big things, stoller, bumbos, bouncers, pack and plays, ect. to be on the other side so you don’t have to pack and/or go without.

Airport/Flight

  1. Check EVERYTHING but the diaper bag this is a lifesaver, you will be able to have both hands free and won’t be worrying about this bag and that pillow, ect. (I know, I know in these days of baggage fees it’s a hard pill to swallow but to me an extra $15-$40 is worth it—southwest airlines still doesn’t charge and they have the friendliest service)
  2. Strollers; try and secure one on the other side so you don’t have to bring yours. I fortunately have visited family where they already had the equipment and/or my dad was generous enough to buy the stroller before we got there and now Walter has his “California wheels”
  3. Wear your baby in a infant carrier such as a Bjorn or Moby
  4. TSA now has the “family lane” when going through security, believe it or not it’s the quickest line!
  5. To avoid the pain of decompression nurse or give your baby a bottle on the decent. The last flight we took Walter didn’t want to nurse but was teething so he chewed on my finger the whole decent and there was nary a problem.
  6. And, I am sure if your bundle of joy does begin to get vocal someone will invariably give you a dirty look (as I received as Walter was crying uncontrollably during his first dissent) give them a dirty look back, they obviously are an asshole.

At your destination

  1. Have fun!
  2. Take tons of photos.
  3. Try to keep a schedule as close to your home schedule, but be realistic, this lasts about a day and a half for me and then everything goes out the window.
  4. Be contentious about what stage your child is at and set expectations accordingly. For example when Walter and I recently traveled to So. Cal. and every time I introduced him to friends and family I made sure to let them know he is going through stranger anxiety/separation anxiety so they knew not to take it personally when Walter started crying hysterically when placed into their arms.

Above all else, Use your resources, talk to moms who travel, they may have tricks that never crossed your mind. Allow yourself plenty of time, patience and latitude. You are traveling with an infant/small child, they don’t have the capacity to comprehend what is going on. If they want to cry, they will cry, if they don’t, they won’t. And thank you for flying the friendly skies and let me be the first to welcome you to your destination

1 comment:

Chris Corrao said...

I love this blog... but get posting missy, us blog readers don't like to wait weeks and weeks for new content. This is instant gratification America! get on it! :)